Monday, August 13, 2012

Still on this Olympics matter...

Hello Beautiful People,
Apologies for the Part 2 post. Now I know this is not “Nollywood” but the truth is personally, I do not like long posts. I lose interest when a short piece starts turning into a 3-4 paged essay. So I decided to shorten the post even though I had initially written it all at once.
Continuing from where I stopped in the previous post; while I do not have answers to all questions in my last post, I think I have suggestions:
First of all, it all starts from the home front. Mothers!!! Encourage your children. If you notice your child has an interest in something, develop that something. It might just be his talent/gift. Don’t shut him up, don’t tell him oh go and read your books, your mates are “carrying” first. Not every child is meant to be a lawyer or engineer or doctor. If you can afford it, send these little ones to music, karate, gymnastics, ballet, basket ball, soccer etc classes during their holidays. Let them participate in corporate/church events e.g. Sprite grand slam, church competitions etc. Many of us have the notion that those events are for the “poor” people, which is so wrong.  Instead of hopping from one “owambe” to another on Saturday, take time to invest in their lives. I have an aunt who will proudly tell you oh I’m taking my son to a basket ball competition in another state. The boy is about 10years old or so. And don’t say this is US, some people do this even in Nigeria;  I was surprised one day when my friend mentioned that her cousin was going to music class on a weekend, I said in Nigeria? I don’t think many of our parents had that much exposure when we were growing up, but we do now. This is 2012, we are more enlightened.
As much as I subscribe to summer school many times I think it is a waste of precious time; you would still learn those things next term anyway, besides different schools have different curriculums so…why not spend that time doing something else probably acquiring a skill. Summer is always a perfect opportunity to do all these stuff because of the length of time the children are at home (if you haven’t planned any vacation though). Make a commitment that your child will be good at something else other than “maths and English”.
Secondly, schools support these kids. If there was a prize or scholarship for best runner, I tell you these kids will sit up. They will honestly. Instead of giving prizes for best in computer alone, add a sports category to your prize giving events. Let PHE classes be much more than standing in the sun, let it be more practical. Set aside valuable time for them to practice the volleyball and basket ball theories you have taught them. Let them compete with neighboring schools. Interhouse- sports should be more than just being a fund raising event, honor the athletes that do their houses proud, let their peers be jealous of them and be driven to participate. Ensure that you develop other areas in the lives of these kids; while all cannot be runners, some can participate in other games. I think I am tired of seeing rappers and dancers, let us develop other areas. These are some of the things that our parents should be discussing at the PTA meetings.
Thirdly, corporate organizations develop your staff, encourage their children. My office organized a basket ball competition sometime ago and the team that won got a large sum of money (Sadly, I think I am too petite to play basket ball). Guess what, it is all in the encouragement. I think some organizations in Nigeria also do this but often times, the focus is on football. I believe we can branch out to some other areas. We can also lend our support by sponsoring children with these skills. Imagine how proud a child will be if he was on a scholarship from GTB just because he won Lagos Karate Competition or something like that. Sponsor them for games abroad, yes we CAN! If there’s an African Children’s game or something, sponsor them. The way companies go all out in sponsoring the MBGNs and the Miss Nigeria’s, channel those resources into other causes.  These are the sorts of things that drive passion. It makes you more committed when you know a lot is at stake. We know our government is failing but must our private organizations also fail? The answer is No. We must rise up to the challenge and be the change we want to see.
Lastly, YOU, ME and US! Let us wake up. Do you know that if you learnt a skill during that your holiday abroad or even practice some of those things you learn from you-tube videos, you can start something. You don’t have to start big. Start by assembling the kids in your neighborhood, start by giving free lessons. Just START.  Kaffy the dancer does not work in a bank, neither does she have a plum job in the oil and gas industry, she branched out to do what she loves doing the most. She owns a dancing school and today she is an employer of labor. You don’t have a job, what else do you like doing? We have too many fashion designers and musicians already (PS- I appreciate all my fashion designers and Wizkids...Lol), look for a need and be committed to meeting that need. Make an IMPACT. START doing something. This goes out to everyone (including me). Let us start with what we have. Initiate ideas at your work place, in your church, at your social clubs, etc. This doesn’t even have to be in sports alone, it can be anything as long as it is going to be productive.
God help us all to see a Great AFRICA in our life time…
God help us to witness the birth and rebirth of a new NIGERIA in our life time…
I am so looking forward to a time when I will begin to hear and tell good stories about AFRICA…
I know and believe in a not too distant time from now we will get there.
What other practical suggestions do you think can work? And most importantly what role can you play? It is okay to talk and get angry but the most important thing is to start taking baby steps. Please share your ideas and suggestions.
Thanks for stopping by!
Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. There are talents and potentials that need to be developed in Africa; it is unfortunate that more than 30% of its population are hungry, seemingly, it’s impossible for us to have a sense of purpose and vision in areas that matter for national development in all ramifications.

    ReplyDelete